Yarborough Academy aims to develop pupil’s abilities with an integrated programme of Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing.
Pupils will be given opportunities to interrelate the requirements of English within a broad, balanced and creative approach to the teaching of English across a Project Based curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills. Reading and Writing is taught through an approach where all areas of the national curriculum are linked together to give children the best educational experiences.
At Yarborough Academy we strive for children to be able to:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, orchestrating a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct,
- have an interest in books and read for enjoyment,
- have an interest in words, their meanings and develop a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms,
- understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation,
- be developing the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness,
- have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.
All projects are planned to incorporate clear English learning journeys which teach all the listening, speaking, phonics, reading, grammar, punctuation, spelling and writing skills that they need to be successful.
This allows children to see the reason and purpose behind learning particular skills as they are being constantly applied rather than learnt in isolation.
Please click on the link to view the full English Policy